3.11.2011

"So Te how has everyone else reacted? And by everyone else, I mean guys?"

Talking to my bffs & her husband while visiting w/them & their brand new beautiful baby girl, we somehow got on the subject of my hair.* Well...not really somehow...my hair is something that always comes up w/me & him only cause its always something completely different from what he saw the last time...at least generally speaking.
But last night he asked me something no black person(he's mexican btw) has even thought to ask..."So Te how has everyone else reacted? And by everyone else, I mean guys?" (I should insert that my love life or lack there of is always a subject w/him& I...especially when I'm actually dating..ha!) I had to pause...cause it was so funny that he'd asked this soon after me thinking about the different reactions I receive from males & females. And I know that by nature most men love hair, as our femininity is associated w/hair, but I have definitely had mixed reactions from my male friends. They all acknowledge my beauty, guess cause that's an undeniable fact-no asswhole....but they still look as if they're longing for the days past when I had something for them to run their fingers through(ALL of my male friends play in my hair-regardless if there's a sexual affection or not-been that way since my youth-it ain't changing).
But on the other side, every single one of my female friends have told me how this hairstyle opens my face & allows my bone structure to seem amplified. Funny thing is I didn't realize how long my neck was until I sent a pic to my bff & she commented on the length & grace of my neckline...lol...I never thought that far...I was just tired of combing & maintaining my hair.
BFF's husband upon hearing my response said to me, "well I'd imagine it takes a certain amount of confidence to wear a style like that huh?" Never thought of it that way but I guess it does...a freedom w/in self I'd guess....I don't know for sure cause like I said I just woke up one day went to the barber shop & told him to cut it low...that's it...I wasn't liberating myself from a relationship, job, or anything else...I was just tired of worrying & fussing over hair. I've maintained the short cut for a while...but now for the spring I'm thinking of letting it grow some...or completely...who knows...

Funny that the first time I'm writing about my hair in months I'm rocking a wig over it cause its time for a new color...guess even when I'm trying to keep it low maintenance it still isn't...dah well...the paradoxes & dichotomy of my life keeps it interesting....

*to clarify I was sitting w/two of the three BFF's-but one of them is now married w/a brand new beautiful & gawgeous little angel!
peace...blessings....overstanding...knowledge.....freedom....

No comments:

Post a Comment

talk to me......